Friday, September 24, 2010

Four o'clocks…

While blog cruising yesterday afternoon (while taking a quick break from long days glazing in the studio),
 I happened upon a blog post over at Mr. Brownthumb on these very cool flowers…
These "four o'clocks" which I have been calling them "night bloomers":
 These are all pictures of variations grown in my garden this year…
Some pictures with my digital SLR, some with the point and shoot, and many with my iPhone photo apps (hipstamatic as well as regular photo)
 I just collected the seeds last year (from my all pink flowers - they were light pink - picture at the end of this post...)
 And all these variations just popped up from a few scattered seeds I spread in the garden...
 My mind just races back to college courses in genetics. Oh, how I would love to figure these out...
 Cross pollination in a controlled environment would be so cool (I do have an Entomology BS degree - there is a scientist still in there at the core!)...
 Ah, but then it is so delightful to just see what nature has in mind...
Variations, variations, variations…
Haven't noticed any yellow and white varieties…
Hmmm… what if any variations will the seeds from next year produce?

Ah-ha… A picture from my 2009 Garden Pictures File: My all light pink "night bloomer". Which I am happy to feel more confident and educated to be calling it with it's proper name: four o'clock...

1 comment:

  1. Hey,

    I was just replying to your comment on my blog about Four O' Clocks and came by to check out your blog and am wowed by the varieties you have. Such nice blooms.

    ReplyDelete