Saturday, May 2, 2009

My Garden in Early May

Chloe is so much fun to watch as she learns about nature.

Here I think, one day she'll be saying...

Loves me...

Loves me not...

These weeds are in full bloom, and I have made a decision that this year I will do my best to pull them from the woods behind my house so they do not suffocate the May Apples, Jack in the Pulpit, and other native April/May plants...

Here are some Violets that are all over the place - I don't pull these!

I just started to see snail shells this year in the garden.
Maybe I just hadn't looked for them before...

Little white and pink blooming flowers in the woods
(will have to figure out what their name is... Anyone?)

Some of my small iris ground cover...

An old tree stump in the woods...

The old wood pile... love the patterns that the wood makes - new texture maybe?

Mushrooms from the forrest floor...

Lady Ferns emerging getting ready to unfold their delicate fronds...
they are greeting the morning sun...

These are some of my wood or autumn ferns which are a bit larger ferns...

Looking up through the dogwood tree in bloom, in the morning...
Facing Northwest - Hi Joan and Lana!!!

A bleeding heart plant...


And one of my favorite surprises to find in our woods...
The Jack in the Pulpit...


Last year I found some Jack seeds and researched how to propagate them.
Basically, remove the outer red juicy covering, and plant...

So if that worked, I should see quite a few showing up in the garden and not just in the woods.

What a wonderful place to explore...
Thanks for visiting!!!

2 comments:

  1. My Mom calls those Flowers Spring Beauty.
    We went over to the Lake this evening and had a lot of fun spotting all we could see. It is such a great time of year to be out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marsha, I grew up in Western Massachusetts and your garden looks like my memories; our current garden has most of the same plants in a much smaller area. maples, oak, woodland plants, violets columbines peonies etc. I love these gardens.Now I know why I instantly liked you ; felt like I was meeting an old friend. Thanks for sharing. Chloe will be a gardener - all three of my three grown children garden.Great joy.
    As I kid we hunted trailing arbutus.. delicate smell.. deep woodlands.Do you have them?? Joan T and Lana ( the veggie gardener)

    ReplyDelete