Monday, March 22, 2010

Always...

As I become more familiar with my garden and its inhabitants of the plant variety, I feel that I am more connected to it every spring.

And my garden heart starts to come alive again after a winter of hibernation when I see the Hellebores begin to stretch out from their former year's foliage and unfurl their muted tone and textured petals.




These plants were bought in the spring of 2006. Which was at the end of our first full year in this house.



The first year after tearing out so much overgrowth and unkept surburban typical landscaping...



It was picked because of it's resistance to disease and that deer tend to avoid it.

In the spring of 2007 I had purchased two more of these hellebores, one for my garden and a sister plant for my mom's patio garden to accompany some early blooming pansies. At the time my mom was undergoing treatment for Leukemia, and I wanted to give her blooms to see (it was very early spring). Time was not on her side and we did not know if she would see her summer garden in bloom.

Her plant faded in life as she did, but the sister plant in my garden, the Lenten Rose Hellebore thrives. And although I have tried to disperse the seeds, there had been no new plants.

Until today... I happened upon a blog post by Fairegarden (link below) about Hellebores and the babies, which takes two cycles of cold and warm seasons to develop. I quick ran out into the garden to see if I could see any babies and I think there may be a few...




Fairegarden's Blog about Hellebores: Click HERE

I hope these are new babies... Hope, hope, hope...

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Dear Marsha, first let my express my most heartfelt sympathy on the loss of your mother. Having experienced the same, it is a pain that will never go away. Having the sister plant is a wonderful thing, and I did click on the photo to inspect the little seedlings. Yes, they are hellebore babies, the shiny spoons are like no others. Thank you for the mention and linkage, I appreciate it. :-)
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am putting this into another comment that can be deleted, Marsha. The link is not working. I believe you need to add this code:

    Hellebore Experiment-The Results

    Just copy and paste this where you want it.

    Thanks,
    Frances

    ReplyDelete