Friday, May 21, 2010

Mid May Garden Update

So as the weather starts to warm up a bit, there are more blooms about...
My neighbor (moved about 3 years ago) mentioned to me that she had dug up some of the Iris's in her garden (like this one) that were from her grandmother's garden. And that if some day, the new neighbors wanted to clear out that garden bed, would I try to dig them up and transplant them? Of course I would!!! But for now, they are still there...


This orange cone flower is new to the garden this year and about to open up...


This is one of the crossed Spiderwort. The original ones in my garden with dark green foliage have magenta flowers. And the chartreuse foliage ones have purple blooms...


Ahhh... The nasturtiums return! I can't wait to see them trailing all over the garden walls this year...


Some Hostas I planted from seeds gathered last fall. I think we will have a lot of hostas to divide and give away next year!


Dave got me a magnolia tree for my birthday this year for the garden. I have wanted one for a while, and had hoped that my mom would have bought it for me (I asked the three sets of "grandparents" to plant a tree of their liking in my garden for their grandkids). My mom never got the chance... But she adored this evergreen variety! He also got me a chainsaw for my birthday (what a guy!!!)


Here are some old rotting roots back up in the woods... quite appealing to the texture loving artist side of me.


I was on the hunt for mushrooms, fungi, and toadstools... to make new clay pieces for house planters (miniature flowers, pagodas, and toadstools...)


There is something that draws me into these flat wide shapes...


And of course, Chloe getting out into the garden with me. Even though she has been sick with a stomach bug for a week now (hopefully done) she was running around like normal, so we got out a bit for some fresh air. She preferred using my gloves... She amazes me every day!


And our little Riley (RJ as some call him: Riley James) almost 5 months old...
Having fun at his cousin's baseball game (three games that evening... got to give my sister-in-law and her husband some credit. That's a lot to juggle with four kids... And Yay to Collin for bringing in a double!)

Riley spends some time in the garden in his little travel swing while I'm piddling around out there. And I'm sure he will be out in the garden with Chloe and I as soon as he is up and going...

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. Pretty plants!! I especially love the cone flowers. I'm growing some from seed this year to fill in around my peonies!

    ReplyDelete